Interpersonal violence is a major societal and global concern. Nurses and other health care professionals are often vital links to resources and safety. This seven-week online program is designed to educate health care professionals in the assessment, intervention and referral process appropriate for victims of assault as a component of interpersonal violence.
The program is accredited by the Connecticut Nurses Association and offered by Quinnipiac's School of Nursing.
Students who complete the course will qualify for 98 contact hours. Certification by the International Association of Forensic Nurses requires an additional clinical component and a standard written examination. You must complete an additional 45 clinical/field work hours to qualify as a SANE A nurse and a total of 75 clinical/field work hours for the SANE A and SANE P nurse.
Students will learn how to do the following:
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the sexual assault nurse examiner/sexual assault
forensic examiner in the care of sexual assault or interpersonal violence victims
- Evaluate the impact and aftermath of sexual assault, according to the age and sex of the victim, as well as the category of the assault and the victim's relationship to the offender
- Discriminate between trauma and injury according to the assault and pre-existing disease process
- Compare the criminal and civil judicial processes
- Contrast the roles of a fact witness and an expert witness
- Determine the various community resources available to victims of sexual assault or interpersonal violence
- Recognize the importance of forensic documentation, including forensic photographic documentation
- Construct an individualized treatment plan incorporating knowledge of vulnerable populations, developmental and gender differences, sexual orientation and cultural diversity
To register for the course, you must be one of the following:
- Nurse practitioner
- Advanced practice registered nurse
- Registered nurse
- Nurse midwife
- Third-year medical student
- Physician assistant
- Physician assistant student who has completed the clinical residency
For more information, call 203-582-KNOW or write to email@example.com.